Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dexter lies on his back to get his nails done

Sorry, no picture, but like many dog owners, I was dreading the nail clipping times. I tight-leashed his head so it couldn't reach his feet, gripped him tightly against my ribs, held his paw vice-like, and did my business... when it occured to me that I was approaching this all wrong.

The books say, if your dog fears storms, don't console him ("Aw, poor poochy, are you frightened?"), because that only reinforces the behavior. Just like with little kids. Wrong: "Aw, come here. That must hurt!" (tears increase to sobbing). RIGHT: "Did you fall down? Wow! Show me your boo-boo. That's cool!" (head nods in agreement, sniffling). Really. It works.

So, instead of dreading the nail clipping, and making a big, hairy-scary deal out of it, I decided to make it ordinary, frequent, and part of our cuddling time. Every morning, I reach over, take the clippers, and mock-clip his nails, shaving the edges. While he lolls around on his back, getting belly rubs. Once in a while, I clip an actual nail, now that I've convinced him this is nothing unusual.

I let him sniff & lick the clipper. He's cool with it. It's not the enemy.

Since I do it every day, I don't have to do all 4+1 claws on a paw at once. Probably could, at this point, but, heck, they aren't going to get that long, with this practice.

Yay, attitude! His and mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment